Monday, May 02, 2005

KGB Comes to Oakland

Those of you expecting to read about Russian intelligence are about to be disappointed. You'll find plenty of intelligence from Kari, Gretchen and Barbara though--the real KGB.
KGB-Piedmont-Grocery

Gretchen and Barbara were granted "weekend leave" from their significant others and given 72 hours to come visit me in California for a girly weekend. We haven't all three been together in five years so it was long overdue.
We made dinner, drank wine, went out for coffee, had dinner, went out for more coffee, got pedicures and had more dinner. The two of them had the opportunity to lay around and be lazy, something they rearely get to at home since they both have children.
On Saturday, we visited a perspective caterer for the wedding and it went really well. Unfortunately, for me, I didn't realize a "tasting" was actually a "meal" and I could barely move after eating all that food. Gretchen and Barbara gave their seal of approval on the chicken and I really enjoyed the risotto cakes. Rob was absolutely no use at all as a judge since he had just finished playing football and would have loved any food at all. I might advise you against playing football immediately after eating this food, however, which is what I had to do. And we didn't even win.

On Sunday, Rob and I took Gretchen and Barbara to the Gardens at Heather Farm to check out the wedding site and it was a gorgeous day. This was the first time that Rob and I have been there when all the roses were in bloom and it was absolutely stunning. I have no idea how many of these roses will be in bloom in July but if it's half as beautiful as it was today I'll be a happy bride.

Gardens at Heather Farm

KGB-rose-garden

That afternoon, we brought mimosas to the salon and got ourselves some pedicures. The nail technician swore she wasn't offended by my hairy legs so I gave her a big tip for lying.

GB-pedicure

toes

The weekend felt both like a moment and a month. We caught up on so many details of each others' lives including children and boyfriends and families and memories. Sometimes living far away, I forget how important these women are in my life but being all together this weekend was a valuable reminder of how much they mean to me and how thankful I am that they've kept me in their lives. Long live the KGB!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice photo blog

Anonymous said...

kgb together? And the first pic is from a liquor store? The more things change, the more things stay the same...

matt b