Wednesday, February 01, 2006

X-tal Reunited or "How we celebrated Rob's birthday"

No one loves his birthday more than Rob Carey--which is why he deserves a big medal of honor for foregoing his usual birthday celebration in order to celebrate the X-tal reunion instead.
On January 21, X-tal played together for the first time in 10 years at the Rickshaw Stop in San Francisco. Andrea's husband, Michael, flew out a few days prior to rehearse with the band and spend some time with me and Rob. We had a great time together those few days he was here enjoying some nice meals together and having lots of laughs.
It's been a long time since Rob and I went to see any kind of live music together so it was fun just being out. But it was downright bizarre to be at an X-tal show again and seeing all the same people in the crowd, only 10 years older. And when the music began, I felt completely transported to another place and time. It's a haunting feeling when something carries you into another time like that and it made my heart flutter in a strange way. I couldn't stop myself from singing along and was surprised to realize I still remembered so many words. I think everyone in the band really enjoyed the evening and isn't it great to be able to see a band again, knowing it will be the last time you'll get the chance?






No comments: