Sunday, April 17, 2005

2nd Annual Birthday Museum Trip

At what point does something become a tradition? I learned through years of insult and humilation from my family, that a tradition does not begin after you've done something only once. Or perhaps, the lesson they were teaching me is that a bathroom stop en route to a destination should never qualify as a tradition. Particularly if you've only stopped there to go to the bathroom one time. Anyway, that's not the point. The point is, this is the second year in a row that Rob and I have gone to an art exhibit with Randy to celebrate my birthday. I'm going to now declare this a birthday tradition. Sorry Randy. You're stuck with me.
This years' exhibit was the Robert Bechtle retrospective at the SF Moma and was a lot more enjoyable than the overcrowded and less interesting Art Deco exhibit we went to last year at the Palace of the Legion of Honor. If you live in the Bay Area, I recommend you try and see this exhibit before it leaves June 5. It's AMAZING. Bechtle is a photorealist painter who paints with amazing creativity and precision. There is no way that I could do it justice on this blog but here's one of his paintings--

bechtle

We took so much time examining every painting in awe, that we needed to sit and rest. Rob took it as an opportunity to try out his new leper joke. Unfortunately, it was lost on Randy as he thought Rob said "leopard."

MOMA-Rob-&-Randy

After the exhibit, we went to Randy's and Cheryll's for dinner and wine and laughter. I-boy tries to get all of Roxie's toys and Rob inadvertantly insults Cheryll's dinner when he comments that he's been eating too much cheese. A perfect evening.

Randy-&-Cheryll

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always have believed that is a tradition is born when Kari says its a tradition!!
Thanks Kari best laugh I had all day.

C-to-the-K said...

Tremendous! You and Berch have the same birthday tradition! (As Berch has had only one birthday thus far, you can say he's spent every birthday going to the museum!). Your birthday sounded wonderful. Maybe we'll meet in person one day!

Anonymous said...

A tradition is usually inherited and has been handed down from generation to generation. Technically it will not be a tradition until you hand it down.

Anonymous said...

Ooop, looks like somebody lost another stick.

Trust me, it's a tradition now.