Thursday, April 21, 2005

American Idol

Isn't it great to wait months and months for an event and then finally get to go! Several months ago I bought myself a birthday gift--tickets to go see Wayne Thiebaud at City Arts and Lectures with Rob, Gretchen and Kevin. Do you know Wayne Thiebaud? He is without a doubt my favorite painter and a true American Idol. It's always dangerous to go see a lecture or presentation by someone you really like because you run the risk of finding out they aren't as nice as you imagined them to be. Wayne did not disappoint. He was funny and kind and completely unimpressed with himself. He has taught art for years at UC Davis and continues to teach there even though he is no longer really on the faculty. As he put it--"They can't fire me if I'm not employed. And I don't have to attend faculty meetings."
He is passionate about art and in despair that we are taking art out of our schools and "we are teaching only half the person."
I felt so fortunate to have had the opportunity to attend this lecture and, to top it all off, he was in the lobby on our way out signing autographs. I luckily had brought one of the Wayne Thiebaud books I have and he graciously signed it for me.
How cool is that?!!

Wayne-Thiebaud!

Here's a sample of Wayne Theibaud's painting--
desserttray

Some of you may recognize it as Rob gave me a reproduction of it for my birthday one year and it hangs in our home. It was very difficult to choose just one so I encourage you to check out more Thiebaud paintings here.

If any of you are wondering what to buy us for a wedding gift--a Wayne Thiebaud original is a perfect idea. I tried to register for one but it turns out they don't have a wedding registry at Christie's Auction House. Shame.

No comments: