Saturday, August 06, 2005

Helicopter Tour

"If ever there was a place made for helicopter exploration, it’s Kaua’i. Going to Kaua’i without taking a helicopter flight is like going to the Sistine Chapel and not looking up.” Ulitmate Kaua’i Guidebook

Thanks to mom (Barbara) and John, Denise, Toshi, Creston, Kristy and Kari’s friends at work for the helicopter trip. At just over $200 each it’s a bit of an extravagance we probably wouldn’t have done on our own--but boy are we glad we went.

The Ultiimate Kaua’i guidebook says that the best pilot on the island is Chuck from Air Kaua’I so we called them and were thrilled to hear that Chuck was going to be taking us. Well Kari was thrilled I was still counting down the hours until we landed safely. I hate flying and had never been in a helicopter before so I was a bit worried to say the least.

Kauai-Heli44

Kauai-Heli52

I’m so glad that I did it though, it was an incredible experience and the flying was no where near as terrifying as being in a plane. We were given the front seats right next to Chuck, that probably helped, as did the music in our headphones as we took off, the TopGun theme, cheese or what? The flight was an hour in all and we got to see some amazing stuff that you can only see from the sky including the waterfall in Jurassic Park and most of the landscape of the island.

Kauai-Heli05

My favourite part was flying into the crater of the volcano that created the island, wow!, we swooped over it (we swooped? Chuck swooped) then slowly he lowered us deeper and deeper into it, the walls seemed like they were at least 500 feet high, all this and a Kenny G soundtrack in your ears really gets the blood pumping. A few more canyons later and it was time to head back, I could have stayed out all day, maybe next time, I’ll ask Chuck if I can bring my own CD’s.

Kauai-Heli02

Kauai-Heli45

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Fabulous photos!!! We did the same helicopter tour and your description is pretty perfect. Sounds like you're having a blast. Congrats again. We updated our blog with some photos from our New England voyage, which is where we ended up going instead of CA for your wedding. Well, we had to console ourselves somehow! Can't wait to hear ALL about it.

much love, Rach and Dre

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Sounds like a great time! And I am shamed that we gave you such a lame gift when we could have given you Honeymoon chits instead. Really, I think my brain simply didn't have it in me to be creative when I decided. Feh. In any case, your wedding was smashing! Thanks for giving Guy and I a chance to boogie for a good cause - the Careys!