Thursday, August 11, 2005

Queen's Bath

Rob, being a Royalist and all, insisted we visit "Queen's Bath" in Kaua'i. Described by, you guessed it, The Ultimate Kaua'i Guidebook as "a large pool the size of several swimming pools carved by nature into a lava shelf, Queen's Bath is a marvelous pool to swim in." We went once before but there was no parking left. Today we went back in the afternoon and just about found a spot. When we walked down the trail, we could see a large pool below and to the right and knew this had to be the spot, but when we arrived, there was so much surf coming in there was no chance of swimming in it. The beauty was that there were several sea turtles really enjoying the surf so we sat, completely mesmerized, watching them for 30 minutes or more.

Kauai-QueensBath05

Kauai-QueensBath03

From there, we walked along the waters' edge and admired the scenery.

Kauai-QueensBath02

The afternoon rain left us with a big rainbow and my pot of gold at the end of it.
Kauai-QueensBath01

As we were just about to go, it occurred to me that the guidebook mentioned that during the summer, when the surf is lower, the water often doesn't get refresed as much as it should be. The amount of surf coming into the pool we were at seemed like way too much to be this place they were describing so we continued further along the shoreline and, sure enough, we had been at the wrong spot the whole time. The beauty of it, at this point, is that most everyone had left and we were two of only four people remaining. Rob and I dove in the pool and it was lovely and warm and there were lots of fish in there but most interesting were these small crabs with florescent streaks on them. The other two people left and Rob and I were the last people there as the sun was setting. It was magic.

Kauai-QueensBath11

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man.. Cool blog here! I'll make a note of it in my browser.

But while I'm at it -- I've got a question for you...

Have you been on a vacation lately... If not then I
would invite you to have look at the
best caribbean spot vacation site. It pretty much covers best caribbean spot vacation related stuff. Hope you find this useful.

Come and check it out if you get time :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

What's up with the anon comments that are really ADS? This is weird - is it because some crawler engine finds your references to Hawaii?

In any case, LOVE the pictures and the stories. Someday I'll see Hawaii. Sniff.

Anonymous said...

Hey man.. Cool blog here! I'll make a note of it in my browser.

But while I'm at it -- I've got a question for you...

Have you been on a vacation lately... If not then I would invite you to have look at the www.grpg.org best South Bay Area vacation site. It pretty much covers best South Bay Area vacation related stuff. Hope you find this useful.

Enjoy! :)